PROTOform congratulates team driver Jilles Groskamp on capturing an emotional victory at the 2012 IFMAR ISTC World Championships.
The Dutch ace was crowned Champion on the very grounds he grew up racing on, scoring a popular win at the MACH Heemstede track. After starting from the No. 3 spot on the grid, Groskamp and former World Champ and TQ Atsushi Hara raced nose-to-tail for the better part of A-main No. 1 before Jilles pulled off a stunning last second pass that will go down in history as the turning point of these Worlds. Hara settled for the overall runner up position while Ronald Völker grabbed the last podium spot, matching his 3rd place trophy from 1/12th scale.
Jilles’ win ends the 4-year reign of German Marc Rheinard as Touring Car champ. Rheinard took the risky approach of sitting out A-main No. 1 in an attempt to save his tires for an all-out run in A2, but a bobble while running in the top 3 dashed his chances to match Naoto Matsukura’s 3-peat from earlier in the week.
2012 IFMAR Touring Car World Championship Final Results
- Jilles Groskamp / NED / PROTOform LTC-R
- Atsushi Hara / JPN / PROTOform LTC-R
- Ronald Volker / GER / PROTOform LTC-R
- Naoto Matsukura / JPN / PROTOform LTC-R
- Viktor Wilck / SWE / PROTOform LTC-R
- Loic Jasmin / FRA / PROTOform LTC-R
- Christopher Krapp / GER / PROTOform LTC-R
- Andy Moore / GBR /PROTOform LTC-R
- Chris Grainger / GBR / PROTOform LTC-R
- Marc Rheinard / GER / PROTOform LTC-R
The win was the second IFMAR World Title for the PROTOform LTC-R, cementing its status as the race body of choice for the world’s top touring car drivers. PROTOform has now been the body of choice for every Touring Car World Champ since 2002.